2017-2018 Season of Events!

Group flights and other events for Mountain Air pilots.

Moderators: MTN2451, MTN2245

2017-2018 Season of Events!

Postby MTN2451 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:00 pm

It is my pleasure to make this my first post as the new Events Manager here at Mountain Air! I would like to thank our CEO Gary Widup and the rest of the management team for this opportunity! On the agenda for the coming year, I have what I hope you'll find is a lot of fun events for us to fly in.

This will involve a season of rotating themed events, beginning in September 2017 and finishing off in May 2018. We will conclude with a few of what I'll be calling "Summer Sizzlers" where during June, July and August 2018, we'll have some group flights in resort areas like Hawaii and the Caribbean.

During the season, we'll have these events each month:

A regular group flight that picks up where we last left off, slowly making our way across the continent, beginning on the east coast of the United States and finishing in Mexico
    Challenge events that will create friendly competition, sometimes requiring specific types of aircraft to be flown and sometimes purposely flying in poor weather, testing your skills as a pilot
    Our “A to Z” Special Event where we'll eventually visit every state/province/region that Mountain Air services
    Our “Home Base” event that will feature flights into and/or out of our base of operations – KDEN (Denver International Airport)
    We will also occasionally participate in an official VATSIM event, hosted by VATCAN, VATUSA or VATMEX

Things to keep in mind about these events:

All events occur on the VATSIM network and will now take place at various times on Saturdays, some during the afternoon, some during the evening (Mountain Time)
    During the regular season, there will be one event per weekend whereas during the summer months, the events will be every 2 or 3 weeks apart
    As previously, you receive a participation bonus of 20 points added to your point total for your flight, provided that you fly the flight within the 3-hour event time window
    For the Challenge events, the winner receives an additional 5 bonus points along with the Challenge Event ribbon displayed on his/her pilot page
    The Challenge events will require the pilot to log his/her flight using FSACARS in order to be eligible to participate in the Challenge, but is not necessary for those who just want to fly the flight itself
    We encourage those participating to join us on TeamSpeak during the time of the event where you'll find fantastic pilots, more than willing to assist if you need any help

Regarding that last point, if you are new to this and are intimidated by the thought of flying online or chatting with strangers, trust me, we've all been there at one point or another. You are more than welcome to just log onto TeamSpeak and/or VATSIM and simply observe a flight. I did this myself years ago back at CYVR which was my home airport at the time. I tuned into Vancouver Ground and Tower and listened to how it all operated. In no time at all, I felt more comfortable “speaking the language” and decided to push that mic button to request flight clearance. As I previously suggested, please don't be shy and join us on TeamSpeak for some of these events – you won't regret flying online with real people manning the ATC – it brings a whole new experience to flight simulation!

I look forward to flying with you folks this coming season. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post them here in this thread.

Cheers,
MTN2451

Re: 2017-2018 Season of Events!

Postby MTN2090 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:39 pm

Glen,

It would be BIG help if you put date of event on each event announcement's subject heading or otherwise we would need to spend lots of time opening every post to find what is the next event.

Thanks,

Aharon
MTN2090

Postby MTN2857 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:24 pm

Congratulations Glen! It's good to have you on and see some more events coming up. If I could make a suggestion, if it would interest anyone to fly in the New England area, my home ARTCC, ZBW, hosts an event called a Regional Circuit, usually once a month. The Regional Circuit is a flight between two airports (between 80-200 miles apart) in the ZBW airspace with full ATC staffing from origin to destination, and the event lasts around 3 hours usually, and you can go back and forth as much as you'd like! Some of the airports featured in the past were Bradley, Portland, Nantucket, Providence, Albany, Manchester, plenty of Class C airports to fly into. Boston will occasionally be featured as well, and it is the only Class B airport within ZBW. Sometimes we go on the road and have other ARTCCs provide ATC staffing, and I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before we come to Denver. But anyway, I thought I'd bring it up, since it's a constant year-round event happening once a month, and it would be cool to get some of us to go represent the airline!

Here is the link to the events page: http://www.bvartcc.com/Events/CalendarandOverview.aspx

Cheers!

Eli
MTN2857

Postby MTN2451 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:16 pm

Thanks Eli!

I do have the ZBW airspace on the schedule later on in the season for one of our events, so I'll let you know about it ahead of time and perhaps we can arrange to have some coverage for that event if possible.

Cheers,
MTN2451

Postby MTN2857 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:58 pm

Absolutely! That sounds like a great idea!
MTN2857

Return to Events